Monday, October 15, 2012

Ladies love country boys


Alright folks, I’m taking a poll. Not for any sort of scientific research, but more to satisfy my ravenous curiosity.

The question is very simply… Country boys or city boys?

There is no right or wrong answer, and this is just for fun so please don’t think I am criticizing. But as I have wracked up a few novels and novel ideas I find that I gravitate toward a certain kind of man for my heroes. They are all different in trait and character, of course, but in some fundamental way they all seem like country boys at heart. Even if they are living city boy lives. That might not make much sense. Perhaps I should give y’all my definition of each.

You won’t find these in Webster’s. These are homegrown and absurdly stereotypical. Just go with it.

City boy- a man who operates with a certain air of refinement. Overtly ambitious in occupation and appearance. Charming. Slicked back, clean shaven, smooth hands, sharp dresser. Busy.

Country boy- a man who works with his hands, outdoors, or doing something physically active. Hardworking, honest-often brutally so. Unrefined charm. Tousled hair, five-o’clock shadow, callused hands, t-shirt and jeans practical. Carefree.

Some men can be a mixture, it’s not always black or white but for the purposes here, pick which one suits your man, or your type, best.

If you are on the fence, here is a checklist that might help you gage your tolerance for those wild country boys. Channel Jeff Foxworthy’s skit “You might be a redneck” when you are reading these little clips from my life with my country boy.

You might have it bad for a country boy if…
  1. You find the idea of attending a tractor pull intriguing.
  2. Your man suggests you attend a mouse race and you don’t run screaming in the other direction.
  3. You don’t correct him when he says he’s going to go “get a shower” instead of “take” one.
  4. The cowboy boots by your door are caked with something that may or may not be mud and you allow them to stay there.
  5. You find it cute when he drops the beginning of words like “him” and “them” so they all sound like “eem.”
  6. You don’t mind the sand-paper scraping of his scruffy, five-o’clock shadow leaving well earned redness around your lips.
  7. You have a weakness for plaid and denim in combination.
  8. You find usually unsavory things like sweat and dirt particularly appealing on his sun-bronzed skin.
  9. You decide trying elk, squirrel, venison, maybe coon, and wild mushrooms would be an exciting adventure for your delicate palette.
  10. You find odd phrases like “grow a wild hair” perfectly acceptable when used in combination with a lazy, rakish grin.

Alright ladies, what’s your preference? And what kind of hero are you more prone to write? And anyone have anything to add to this list?

Whether you get all swoony over your city boy or country boy, be sure to give him some sugar today. ;)

13 comments:

  1. I'm going with city boys. I'm smitten with Victorian gentlemen in particular, although they can live in small towns. (How's that for a compromise? =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! Yes, I'll agree there is something very appealing about a true and proper gentleman :) suits you, lovely Keli!

      Delete
  2. Country boys. :) If you count lumberjacks as country boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that I like a combination, but the rugged outdoorsy type definitely has a lot of appeal;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The combination can be best of both worlds type of thing, I agree! The funny thing is that my hubby is most definitely a country boy by all accounts but when he gets all cleaned up, no one would think he wasn't a city boy. Exhibit A: the picture of the city boy in this blog is actually my very rugged, country husband. ;)

      Delete
  5. I grew up close to my grandparents' farm in the country, so I've seen my fair share of country boys. I'd have to say I'd prefer a combo....Hubby is an outdoorsy guy who loves to fish and hunt, so I've had my share of game, but he cleans up quite well too. He's not obsessed about his appearance, and he can rock the plaid and Levis with the best of them, but I've also seen him in Marine Corps dress blues, a tux, a nice suit...hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds a bit like my hubby. Country boys can sure clean up nice! Maybe nicer than city boys solely because the occurrence is a rarity and something to be savored. ;) Thanks for stopping by, Lisa! You are a doll!

      Delete
  6. I'm married to a country boy. ;) I made elk lasagna for dinner the other night. He has a beard right now because he and his friend aren't shaving until they get a big buck this year. I'm writing my first city boy character in my latest WIP. It has been a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Julie, I love this! I can so relate... okay, not to the elk lasagna but to the shaving strike. I just negotiated the end of a loooong one. Unfortunately, those country boys only need a few days to grow it back. And so we start all over again. So glad you came by!

      Delete
  7. COWBOY! Country boy all the way. Though I'm biased since I'm married to one too ;) There is currently two bobcats and a doe in my freezer. And uh, one of the bobcats has 3 legs and THAT's the one he wants to mount. (Did I mention there is a mounted deer head peeking over my Christmas tree?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! We have avoided any and all things taxidermy in this house thus far :) glad to have another girl in my corner!

      Delete